Walnut Grove Archaeology Project

WALNUT GROVE ARCHAEOLOGY PROJECT – 2017

This year the archaeological excavation on the Fenton History Center grounds will continue in an area where an early structure associated with the mansion once stood.  This area is under the pine trees near the steamboat propeller.  We will continue to attempt to determine the size and use of this structure.  We will also investigate the location of the carriage house and west side house addition.

 

HOW TO PARTICIPATE    Dig days will be Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout the summer beginning in June.  We will also excavate some Saturdays.  Days we aren’t digging, we will be washing artifacts. Due to the confined space and small scale of the project, the number of participants is limited.  If you would like to join us call the Fenton History Center at (716) 664-6256.

 

For more information check out the link to our  2017 participant brochure and check back to this website as the dig progresses.

 

 

 

1866

An 1866 photograph where you can see the cupola of the building we believe we are excavating peeking out from behind the mansion.

 

 

1871-1882

The building we believe we are excavating on hand painted birds-eye maps from 1871 and 1882.

 

1902 MAP

This is a 1902 map depicting the mansion and other structures on the property at that time. The building we are excavating is no longer present and the green house appears in its place.

 

google map with previous buildings superimposed

Current Google map depicting the mansion and other structures on the property at the time the family lived there. The building we are excavating is no longer present and the greenhouse appears in its place.

 

2015 2

A small sample of the whole bottles we found during the excavation last year.

 

F OVER

An overall look at the excavation site.

 

Dr. Greer and a volunteer hard at work at the dig.

Dr. Greer and a volunteer hard at work at the dig.

 


Leave a Reply